2007年9月23日日曜日

おなまえ

I've been wondering... what should I call you if I run into you in "the real world," a.k.a. anywhere outside of Japanese class? I suppose that some of you might prefer to be addressed as (surname)-さん as we've been doing in class, but I imagine that most of you have first names or nicknames that you'd prefer I use.

Technically, I should try to use my にほんご even when I'm not in class, but it just seems too weird to my Western mind to work and talk with people every day and not be on a first-name basis with them.

For the record, I will answer to Paul or Derek, whichever you prefer.

4 件のコメント:

本屋 さんのコメント...

Haha, oh wow! we were talking about this before on AIM also. It's kinda funny how you address me as "Honya" in the real world also. I guess that is to be expected when doing a lot of stuff online. Actually, like I stated before, I like being addressed as "Honya" so go ahead and keep calling that.

ローラ・リン さんのコメント...

This comment will not be relevant to your post, but I feel the need to shout it:

WHAT?!!! L DIED?!! @&$*#&$)#Q*!!! TT_________TT I couldn't believe it...I was so sure it was one of his tricks. I don't like near very much..he's too cocky

Kappa さんのコメント...

Oh dear, it seems that everyone's running into this problem lately! I, personally, keep reverting to using surname-さん, even when I'm thinking about people. For example, I have to stop and actually think of people's first names when talking to them. 'Tis not the very best thing, I think... A classmate brought up the fact that it's odd to see the same people every day and not be on a first name basis with them, too.

Personally, I really don't care. First name, last name, nickname - it's all essentially meaning the same thing.

Sato さんのコメント...

I can imagine you feel weird, but oddly enough, I hear students call each other by last name more often than first name even when students are speaking English!